Dear members of AGNES Network,
We would like to inform you that the Call for Applications is now open for the Mawazo Institute <http://www.mawazoinstitute.org>’s 2020 PhD Scholars fellowship programme. This programme is a non-residential fellowship for African women pursuing PhD studies at universities in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and the Social Sciences.
Scholars should be African women under the age of 40, pursuing PhD studies at accredited universities in East Africa, who want to be leaders in their field and society. Successful Scholars are also engaged in compelling and interesting research that is relevant to African development priorities, contributes new knowledge to their field of study, and holds the potential for transformational change in their communities, and beyond.
Scholars receive research grants up of to $5000, travel grants of up to $2000, professional development and leadership training, research and editorial support, and other benefits.
In order to be eligible for the PhD Scholars Programme, applicants must:
- be women below the age of 40 as at 1st January 2020
- be citizens of an African country
- be enrolled for their PhD at an accredited university in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania or Uganda
- have completed their course work if applicable and passed their departmental proposal defence (i.e. in the dissertation phase of their PhD)
- demonstrate that their research project is related to African development and is relevant to a global, regional, national or sub-national policy priority
- demonstrate potential for leadership both within and outside academia, and a strong passion to leverage their expertise for impact in society
- be available to fully participate in the programme in 2020-2021
To learn more about Scholar benefits, eligibility requirements, selection criteria, and to review frequently asked questions, please visit https://mawazoinstitute.org/phdscholars
Applications can be submitted through the online portal here https://mawazoinstitute.submittable.com/submit until midnight East African Time on November 22, 2019. Applicants will be given a final decision on the status of their application in early 2020 and the fellowship year will commence shortly afterwards.
AGNES Network Secretariat
**PLEASE NOTE THAT OWSD AND AGNES ARE NOT DIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH THIS PROGRAMME. THESE TWO INSTITUTIONS CANNOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS OR ANSWER FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PROGRAMME.