2022 Call for Applications
Intra-Africa Mobility Grants for Junior Researchers (supported by BMBF and AvH)
(Language of Application: All applications MUST be submitted in English)
We are pleased to announce the “Call for Applications” for our funding programme: “AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant for Junior Researchers (generally for Male and Female candidates)”. This grant is generously funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and with the support of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH). This Mobility Grant for Junior Researchers aims to strengthen the scientific capacity and networking of young researchers in Africa through the active cooperation of AGNES and potential AGNES members. It further supports the alumni of the AvH in their efforts towards mentoring high potential junior researchers, helping them to access international networks of scientific excellence.
The AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant enables doctoral students from sub-Saharan African countries to spend research stays of 1-2 months at a university/research institute in another sub-Saharan African country (hereafter referred to host institution), where they will be collaborating with an experienced researcher (hereafter referred to as a scientific host). The proposed research must be part of the work towards the Doctoral research, including but not limited to bench work, laboratory studies, use of library resources and a write-up of the thesis or part of the thesis. Eligible junior researchers need to demonstrate the relevance of their work for the further development of their home countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The Grant aims to be as financially comprehensive as is reasonably possible for a short stay outside the borders of the applicant’s country, covering travel and subsistence and includes a research allowance to the host institute on request to cover some of the research expenses. A maximum Grant amount of EUR 2300 and EUR 3000 is earmarked for 1 and 2-month stays, respectively.
III. Eligibility and Application Process
Direct applications from junior researchers having published at least 01 article from their thesis work (in a non-predatory journal) will be considered for both AGNES Mobility Grant and AGNES-PAWS Mobility Grant. The applicant may be from any academic discipline but must be officially registered for a Doctoral degree at a university/tertiary institute in sub-Sahara Africa, must be a national of a sub-Saharan African country, and must have already published at least one paper from his/her thesis work (in a non-predatory journal). Applicants must demonstrate clearly that their work is relevant towards development in sub-Saharan African countries and cannot be conducted in the home country. Only applicants with an identified scientific host and mutually agreed-upon proposal/work schedule will be considered for the Grant.
IV. Required Documents (Maximum size= 8Mo)
Complete applications must include the following:
- a) A short research/project proposal (not more than 5 pages) from the junior scientist (applicant) with a short outline of the proposed research activity and a work schedule for achieving the aim(s) of the research project at the host institution. The scientific host must agree in writing to the proposal and time schedule.
- b) A standard CV of the applicant (AGNES format) and official proof of registration for the postgraduate degree (only current Doctoral students are eligible).
- c) A copy of the official Academic transcripts of the applicant, reflecting the grades obtained in the undergraduate and any postgraduate study. Please supply the official explanation of the grading system.
- d) A list of published articles in non-predatory journals (include an e-copy or screenshot of at least the Title/Author page)
- e) Travel costs (by land or economy class flight): supply two quotes for the journey (including return travel) between the applicant’s country of residence and the country of the host institute).
- f) Estimated cost of living (rent, meals, local transport, health insurance) at the host institute. Applicants are expected to conclude a valid health insurance for the research stay. Scientific hosts and host institutes are expected to assist applicants in finding affordable accommodation and advise them on establishing subsistence estimates.
- g) Letter of invitation from the scientific host: (i) confirming that a place to work will be available at the indicated period, (ii) a binding declaration from the host institution requesting an amount of the research cost allowance. The amount of EUR 100 per month and EUR 200 per month, respectively, will be deduced from the total grant amount for Humanities & Social Sciences, and Natural & Life Sciences and Engineering Sciences, to cover bench fees.
Interested junior scientists should submit their electronic applications directly to the AGNES Desk via email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with as a subject, their full name followed by “2022_AGNES Intra Africa mobility grant”. Please ensure that the application and all supporting documents are labelled with your full name, are no more than 8 Mo, and reach the AGNES desk by October 31st 2022, at 00.00 GMT.
All applications that do not follow indicated guidelines or with a missing required document will automatically be rejected.
V. Amount and Use of the Grant
This once-off Grant cannot be used to fund stays retroactively, i.e. before December 1st, 2022, and all stays must be completed by 28th May 2023. The recipient of the Grant and her/his scientific host must each email a signed letter of acceptance and contractual agreement to the Governing Board of AGNES within seven days of receipt of the offer. Upon completion of the research stay, Grantees and scientific hosts are both expected to report to AGNES on the progress and success of the collaboration.
VI. Budget maxima (all expenses included)
- 1 Month: up to EUR 2300
- 1.5 Months: up to EUR 2650
- 2 Months: up to EUR 3000
VII. Selection Meeting
A selection meeting will hold in January 2022, and only selected candidates will be notified.
Commencement of research stays: earliest is February 15th, 2023, and the latest to be completed by 28th May 2023.
For any questions, please contact:
- Dr Achille Hounkpèvi (AGNES Office Manager). Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof Dr Zachary Getenga (Secretary of AGNES). Email: email@example.com
- Prof Dr Romain Glèlè Kakaï (President of AGNES). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org